Always on the move
Over the decades, we have continuously developed and redefined ourselves. But we have never forgotten where we came from. Below are the major milestones on our journey.
- Walter Wittenstein and Bruno Dähn found Spezialmaschinenfabrik DEWITTA in Steinheim. Core business: Double-chain stitch machines for production of women's gloves
- Relocation of the head offices and the company DEWITTA from Steinheim to Bad Mergentheim
- Bruno Dähn leaves the company due to illness. Walter Wittenstein continues to lead the company by himself.
- DEWITTA moves to a location on Herrenwiesenstraße in the city of Igersheim.
- Manfred Wittenstein takes over the parent company: production program shifts from sewing machines to low-backlash planetary gearheads.
- World premier of the first low-backlash planetary gearhead of the SP series with unique design principle at the Hanover trade show
- Founding of Alpha Getriebbau GmbH – now WITTENSTEIN alpha GmbH
Becoming an international business
- Start of international expansion with the founding of several foreign subsidiaries Founding of the first subsidiary: Alpha réducteurs Sarl, Paris (France)
- Assembly relocated to Weikersheim, Germany
- Founding of the first subsidiary in Asia, Alpha getriebe Ltd., Tokyo (Japan)
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN motion control GmbH Expansion of the service catalog from that of a pure drive manufacturer to a system supplier for electromechanical servo drives and servo drive systems
- Founding of US subsidiary: Alpha gear drives Inc.
- Founding of Joint Ventures Fatec Co. Ltd, Seoul (Korea)
- Founding of Alpha drives ab (Sweden)
- Construction of third factory: The administrative building and an assembly hall are built in Igersheim-Harthausen. Assembly relocated from Weikersheim to the new buildings
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN Limited Partnership (USA)
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN intens GmbH and WITTENSTEIN cyber motor GmbH.
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN Aktive Technologies Limited, Bristol (UK) and Alpha gearhead Limited, Staffordshire (UK)
- Construction of the new buildings in Igersheim-Harthausen: New construction of the development and sales center and the training and communications center
- Construction of the second production hall and a logistics hall
Ready for new challenges
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN SE
- Merger with Bastian GmbH, which has decades of experience in gearing technology Integration into the group as WITTENSTEIN bastian GmbH
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN ternary Co. Ltd. (Japan), WITTENSTEIN Holding (USA), WITTENSTEIN SE (Switzerland), Alpha getriebebau (Austria) and Alpha riduttori s.r.l. (Italy)
- Start of new construction for the third assembly hall and second logistics hall on the Igersheim-Harthausen site.
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN aerospace & simulation GmbH
- Founding of alpha benelux (Belgium)
- German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder visits WITTENSTEIN and Alpha getriebebau
- Founding of Chinese subsidiary Alpha mechatronics (Hangzhou) Co. Ltd.
- Grand opening of Production Hall 5 in Igersheim-Harthausen
- December: Founding of the Romanian subsidiary WITTENSTEIN transilvania SRL in Sibiu, Romania
- The World Garden of WITTENSTEIN SE is one of the 365 places selected in the "Land of Ideas" competition.
- Founding of WITTENSTEIN electronics GmbH
- Chair of the Board, Manfred Wittenstein, becomes President of the German Machine and Plant Construction Association (the "VDMA").
- Grand opening of Production Hall 6 in Igersheim-Harthausen
A global brand
- With the launch of its global WITTENSTEIN brand, the Group is forging ahead on its path to becoming an internationally active one-stop shop for system solutions in the area of mechatronic drive systems.
- Founding of Spanish subsidiary WITTENSTEIN ibérica S.L.U. and subsidiary WITTENSTEIN Co., Ltd. in Taiwan
- Official opening of the WITTENSTEIN talent arena: training center in Harthausen
- Official opening of the Romanian production site in June
- WITTENSTEIN SE acquires a majority share in the company attocube systems AG.
- WITTENSTEIN SE Switzerland in Grüsch begins construction of a production and logistics center for WITTENSTEIN racks. Production start in the Fall of 2010
Ready for the future
- The visionary among machine construction companies: Manfred Wittenstein is "2011 Entrepreneur of the Year" in the Industrial category and is nominated for "2012 World Entrepreneur of the Year".
- He is honored for his excellence in corporate commitment. attocube systems AG is now a 100%-subsidiary of WITTENSTEIN SE.
- Founding of Brazilian subsidiary WITTENSTEIN do Brasil Engenharia Mecanica LTDA Manfred Wittenstein represents Germany at the international "2012 World Entrepreneur of the Year" competition. He is inducted into the Hall of Fame of the world's best entrepreneurs.
- WITTENSTEIN bastian GmbH celebrates the grand opening of its "Future Urban Production" site in Fellbach. €12 million was invested in this new ultra-modern, CO2-neutral production site.
- Dieter Spath becomes Chairman of the Board of WITTENSTEIN SE. Manfred Wittenstein and Karl-Heinz Schwarz complete the Board. With the Future Urban Production site, WITTENSTEIN bastian GmbH was a national winner for the Economy category in the "2013/14 Excellent Places in the Land of Ideas" innovation competition.
- Manfred Wittenstein leaves the Board and assumes the Chair of the Supervisory Board of WITTENSTEIN SE on April 1st, 2014. On April 6th, 2014, senior partner Aenne WITTENSTEIN passes away at the age of 100 in Igersheim. As company founder and authorized signatory, she led the mechatronics firm WITTENSTEIN SE for over 60 years.
- On May 23rd, 2014, the WITTENSTEIN Innovation Factory was officially opened with some 600 guests in attendance and a speech by philosopher Peter Sloterdijk. The development, sales and production areas of several mechatronic business units are combined on some 18,000 square meters. In a 30-meter radius, the new building houses the entire added value process: from concept to finished product. At €35 million, the Innovation Factory is the company's single biggest investment to date.
- Unveiling of the revolutionary Galaxie drive system at the Hanover trade show
- Receipt of the Hermes Award
- Karl-Heinz Schwarz steps down from the Management Board on March 31, 2016 and leaves the company after almost thirty years. Dr. Anna-Katharina Wittenstein, Dr. Dirk Haft, Erik Roßmeißl and Dr. Bernd Schimpf are officially appointed to the WITTENSTEIN SE Management Board with effect from April 1, 2016. Professor Dieter Spath remains Chairman of the Board and CEO.
- On September 29, 2016 the name of WITTENSTEIN AG changes to WITTENSTEIN SE and the company is henceforth operated as a European Company.
- The long-planned generational change in leadership at WITTENSTEIN is now complete: Professor Dieter Spath, Chairman of the Board and CEO, leaves the company on September 30. The new Management Board is comprised of Dr. Anna-Katharina Wittenstein (Spokeswoman), Dr. Dirk Haft, Erik Roßmeißl and Dr. Bernd Schimpf.